I completely lost my mojo after I had blogged about the Christmas presents I made for my family, but now I finally have something to blog about again! As a matter of fact, I have made three other garments and am finishing up a fourth garment, which will all be blogged about separately once I get the chance to take some pictures of them. I also have some time consuming tasks at the moment, such as a new job and writing my master thesis, but now that I don't really have the time to sew, I of course have a bigger need to be creative and sew up some new clothing. In fact, after I started my new job, I felt a bigger need to create things that were more office appropriate. Not because there is a strict dress code at my job, but rather because I feel more comfortable being at work in something that is more subtle, while still being truly 1950s and thus completely me.
Onto the new garment!
I love a good sailor dress as much as the next guy and I have had this pattern, which I bought it from Midvale Cottage on Etsy, for well over 18 months:
Here's what my interpretation of view B with the trim detail of view C looks like from the front:
Showing my face on my blog is a first for me and it needs a little bit of explaining. Originally, I was not comfortable with having my face out there on the internet. However, back in March, I was wearing my interpretation of Butterick 6710 to a rockabilly party in my local area and a young woman, whom I had never seen before, approached me to let me know that she had read about my dress on my blog and that she thought it looked amazing in real life as well. Naturally, I was quite baffled to be recognized like this, but it was such a positive experience that I decided that I might as well drop the Headless Horseman act and just take pictures that include my head from now on ;)
For some reason, I forgot to have someone take a picture of the back view of the dress when I wore it, so I just took one once I was back in Denmark again:
The picture is a bit wobbly, so here's a close-up of the back of the collar:
According to the pattern instruction sheet, the ribbon trim was not supposed to cross, but I actually like the look of crossing the ribbons and it was also a lot faster and easier to attach the trim this way. Working with the pattern was a positive experience all in all, even though I had to finish the dress in a bit of hurry in order to be able to wear it to a concert with the very talented JD McPherson in Hamburg. I was very happy with the results and other people seemed to like it as well as I got several compliments :)
Thank you for reading!