Sunday, August 22, 2010

Butterick 7245 (Dress)

I've always thought this pattern looked like it would make for a nice outfit that could be worn for many occasions, but I never got round to buying it until about two months ago, when I found it in a vintage size 14 in Historically Patterns' shop on Etsy. Here's the pattern envelope:



Seeing as I'm quite happy with the fit of size 14 patterns issued before 1956, I didn't make any alterations to the pattern except for shortening the skirt by about 2 inches. The dress does not have a slit or kick pleat, so I was a bit worried that it would be too restrictive, but it was fine even before I hemmed it. I did a lapped back zipper and I think it turned out okay. It adds a nice finish to the garment, so I'm happy to have learned that technique. Anywho, here's my interpretation of this pattern:





The fabric is a tomato red cotton twill, a fabric I've grown quite fond of. I'm very pleased with this dress and I really love the fit. It's a wee bit blousey in the back, but I think it would be difficult to put on if it was tighter. The cotton twill is very stiff and thick and it therefore has a cinching effect in itself, so the belt only functions as an accessory. I also noticed the dress looked it's best when I wore my pointiest bullet underneath (if you're curious as to how pointy it is, it's available here). Depending on your bust, you should probably keep that in mind if you opt to make this dress in a fabric of similar thickness and stiffness.
I've bought some classic plaid fabric to make the jacket from this pattern. I don't know when I'll get round to making it, though, but hopefully it'll be sometime during September :)

If you like this pattern, it's quite easy to find. There's links to several sellers on the pattern's Vintage Patterns Wikia page. The listings are for vintage sizes 16 (bust 34) and 18 (bust 36) and they're quite cheap too :)

12 comments:

  1. Love the dress and the color--fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a superb job on the dress! It looks just wonderful! I think if you would have taken away the blousiness in the back you might have found the dress a little tight with movement. As it is it looks wonderful. Classy and sexy.

    I also became frustrated years ago looking for scrub tops that were different and flattering yet professional enough to wear at work (I am a nurse). I found a top I liked, made a pattern from it, added pockets that suited me, and started making my own tops. It is very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this link with me! I love how the dress came out.

    Catherine (of historicallypatterns!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy: I'm glad you liked it :)

    misseileen: I know exactly what you mean. Having garments that are completely 'you', but still are work appropriate is important for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dress and the color...and like many good classics it can rock that plaid jacket you are planning, or you could play up those shoulders and collar for a Judy Jetson look...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out beautiful. I love the fit and color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That colour is fab! (it looks a bit like what Rizzo would wear in Grease :D)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot! I agree with Bex, it's totally Rizzo :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dress - it IS a great fit. Ditto on all the fine comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! I love the cut and color of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How am I just now discovering your blog? You are indeed talented. But this dress is off the charts. I love it.

    ReplyDelete